Tuesday 27 August 2013

Chicken and Ducks

Well The two young ducklings have take residency in the chicken/duck pen and duck house outside. Its draft proof and they are just about fully feathered and weather warm enough. They were too warm inside. I cleared the chicken and duck pen of newly formed brambles today and cleared some from the trees picking more brambles as I went. Two chickens followed me round and collected insects. I have 7 pound of blackberries so far. I am collecting for jam, wine and a crumble.

There was a bit of ducklings trying it on this am. Francis soon sorted it out. However trying to get the ducklings to bed this evening! um a lot of diving on the floor and running round the pen!! Them ducklings are very quick!! caught them eventually and they where fine int he duck house. I dont think they have worked it out that they need to go to bed in a warm duck house yet! Took chickens a night to catch on lets hope ducklings get it as quick!

I also set up my composing system today for compost next year. Animal waste and green waste from field should do well.

I have been asked to make a crumble and home made ice cream for a neighbours wood carving unveiling party. An opportunity to get into catering for parties as the guests are local and Rosie has kindly allowed me to give out business cards/flyers out at the party. This party is for 30. Its been costed and ingredients bought. I am going for 4 crumbles one with mixed nuts, one gluten free, one nut free (basic crumble) and one with muesli topping. There is so many blackberries that it will be blackberry and apple. Ice cream vanilla which my friends of accrington wild swimmers have tested in the past and felt it was yummy!






No comments:

Post a Comment