Monday 27 January 2014

All going on down on the smallholding

Next stage of operation chicken - Yesterday I got a cockerel - He lets say has taken over as Chicken Boss. He ignores the male duck which is good. He is a lovely chappy and put in a ring of 18 ladies hes in his element!!. he had a girlfriend at his former digs so she had to come too she doesnt seem to mind him having 19 other ladies!. Bringing the tally of chickens to 21- think time to get meat aswell as eggs from the chickens. I am after a name for mr cockerel as he is staying and not for the pot.

As well as Chicken empire expanding today was the day I helped with butchering my pigs. There is a lot of meat. I Photographed a few cuts that we did today. I learnt how to do a butchers knott. I also tasted my monster chops all 360g an hour after it had been cut all I can say is devine. I didnt believe pork could taste so good!! Dearer I know then the supermarket but fresher and tastier in my opinion. The bit I like is that both the abbotir man and butcher said the meat is perfect and I got the right ration of meat to fat. Excellent news. Just look at the meat pics then I will tell you the process. 










If you dont want to know about  the process from field to your door log out the blog now.

The Pigs where taken to a local Abattoir - Lobbs - which is a family run business who seemed to care about the animals. The deed was done and I collected 6 half pigs and transported them t a local farm with 5 star hygiene rating - Ford Hill Farm who butchered my pigs. I helped and learned about the butchery process along the way.I am helping with Sausage making on Thursday I cant wait! Then Friday collect the meat and sell whilst respecting the meat and keeping at correct temp and environment to maintain its freshness.

No comments:

Post a Comment